well, i am finished with housesitting. not completely forever. just with the house from last week. and that experience led me to set a couple prerequisites for the next time i think about and/or take on a housesitting job –
1. if there are animals involved, they must be completely housetrained. i’m sorry, but i just can’t participate in that kind of training in this season of my life (working full time, etc.).
2. [this second prereq could alter the first one slightly, depending on the situation] the animals (well, dogs mostly) must be able to stay outside for at least 1/2 day at a time. if i’m not going to be home, i want the dogs to be able to run and romp and play during the day and not be cooped up in the house or in a kennel all day.
3. i will need to borrow/use one of the houseowner’s cars. it’s extremely difficult on my family-of-four-drivers-and-only-two-cars when i take on a housesitting commitment and don’t have a car. so housesitting without a car at my full disposal is next to impossible unless the house is down the street.
4. next time i housesit, i’m going to consider it more on a live-in basis, not a run-over-and-take-care-of-the-animals-3-times-a-day-and-sleep-over-there-once-or-twice basis, which is what i have done in the past. it’s just too hard to do the job with excellence. i need to just live at the house like it’s my own. now, this resolution/prerequisite is more for my own family than the housesitting family. but it’s something i decided recently, so it goes on the list too.
i think that’s all. now, many of you may be thinking, silly girl, those things are all givens for housesitting – don’t you know that?! maybe for you they have been, but not for me. i’m a little slower than your average blue-eyed-redhead… and i guess i had never really thought all these things through before. well, there were a few little “incidents” that occured this week that forced these thoughts right through the gates of my mind and filed them immediately in the newly created mental folder of “housesitting prerequisites”.
“incidents” such as…
– the lab puppy decided to jump up on the master bed and pee on the down comforter. yeah.
– the jeep i was driving was keyed in the wal mart parking lot while raigan and i were having dinner. ::sigh:: why do people do such things? it’s so mean!
– the puppy decided to poop all over the living room floor. it was gross.
– the puppy did all sorts of business in it’s crate on the first day. sheesh. i had to drag the crate out into the backyard and rinse it off using a pitcher and water from the kitchen because the hose wouldn’t work. then i had to crawl into the crate to wipe it down because the sides don’t just detach like normal kennels do. at least it was already clean by the time i had to crawl into it.
– the dog and the cat both shed like the dickens. it’s insane.
well, by the end of the week, i liked the cat more than i liked the dog! and for those of you who know me well, that is shocking! (i do NOT like cats.) but now, ebony and i are great friends….
fun things from the week:
– i loved having a car to drive. (see previous post) except for the keying part. that totally stinks.
– raigan and i had fun together! we started season 3 of Alias, she gave me a pedicure (belated bday present), had dinner together, and …
– went and saw The Prince and Me. okay, holly, i didn’t think it was so bad! i mean, sure it was a bit sappy at times, and the plot didn’t really flow, and the ending was kinda lame, but it was still cute! very romantic, and very cute. and clean! i was so happy that they’re relationship was “clean” if you know what i mean (hint: they didn’t ::cough::sleeptogether::cough::).
– i was triumphant in figuring out how to wash the down comforter! turns out, the comforter was really just a demin case for the actual down part that is in turn encased in plastic. so all i had to do was remove the case and wash it. yes!
well, i’m back to riding my bike to work and loving on my own little, darling, manageable, clean, smart dogs. and sleeping in my own bed. ah. life is good.