thoughts on valentine’s day…
so yesterday was valentine’s. yep. and i had a hot date with a young man! okay, so he was all of 11 months old. but despite the fact that i had to change his diaper and he went to sleep at 8pm, he was a charming and delightful valentine. he even had a shirt that said, “my auntie is my valentine”! aaawww! that was the best part…
i also had a girls night/party. and it was a blast! we had dinner, laughed, talked about God’s faithfulness, ate some more, watched a movie… and yet i had a couple people, when i told them that i had had a really fun time, respond with, “that’s great, except for the fact that you spent valentine’s day with a bunch of girls!”
what’s up with that? i don’t mean this in a feminist-type way, but i honestly did have a great night last night and i didn’t feel as if i missed out on anything. you know why? because i didn’t. now, don’t get me wrong. i do believe i am called to be married one day and that i have been created to be joined with and become half of someone else – and i’m excited about that! and there are definitely moments where i can tell that there is something lacking in the sense that i recognize that God created men and women to complement each other and to be together. but for right now – for today – i lack no good thing! this is God’s best for me right now and nothing good is being withheld (ps 84:11). what joy is to be found in that knowledge! and it is that joy that filled my day yesterday and allowed me to truly enjoy the festivities of yesterday’s holiday!
i also learned a few things:
– i am a horrible judge of pasta amounts. it’s a good thing angel hair pasta is ridiculously cheap because otherwise the amount of leftover spaghetti would have been defined as utterly irresponsible! lol
– i really do love watching different film versions of Pride & Prejudice. and the ‘bollywood’ style version – Bride & Prejudice (see above) – is totally one of my favorites! although not completely accurate to the book, i really like the portrayal/interpretation of the characters.
– nora jones’s “come away with me” album is great music to clean up to after a party.
– it’s really fun to bless married people by watching their children on valentine’s day so they can go out. it means so much more to them that i think we realize. so to those out there who served last night in that capacity – you have my respect and thanks!!
– i really love garlic bread. and raspberries. not together, though.
those are all my profound thoughts for today…