this is actually the first year that i can remember making “official” resolutions. i was never into them before. but for some reason, this year i got all excited about actually formulating some goals for growth in 2012. it might have had something to do with having a 6 hour car ride back to pasadena during which Zach and I had some great conversations about hopes, dreams, ideas and goals for 2012.
so here are my 2012 resolutions:
* incorporate journaling back into my morning devotions. i’m not necessarily one of those people who processes things by writing them down. actually, i’m decidedly NOT one of those people. i need to talk it out (which is partly why it’s not uncommon to see me “talking to myself,” but i digress…). despite this, i have found that jotting down a few thoughts on what i read in my bible each morning helps it “stick.” stick in my memory and stick in my heart. i think it’s that whole “2 means of absorption = greater retention” thing. it’s definitely true for me. and i have slacked in this area. and i have felt the effects. so as part of my desire to grow more through my personal devotions, i am picking up a journal again. how convenient that my cousin gave me a really cute one for christmas!
* listen to a sermon each week. you know how you can be reading a book, “read” 3 full paragraphs and suddenly realize that you have no idea what you just read because your mind was somewhere else? that’s how i am with listening to sermons while driving. or cleaning. or doing just about anything. i’m a royal multitasker and my brain is always going. so listening to – and benefiting from – sermons has to be more of a disciplined activity for me. current plan: go on a nice long walk on thursday mornings while listening to a sermon. i’m currently enjoying this series on the life of Joseph by Sinclair Ferguson (starts on 9/3/11 and goes through 12/24/11).
* read 1 “fun” (translate: fiction) book AND 1 “growth” (translate: spiritual or nonfiction) book per month. for some of you, making “reading” a resolution may seem silly. and for those of you who know me, it might seem even more silly. i was an AVID reader growing up. but i have become a crazy, task-driven, multitasking, can’t-sit-still, my-husband-is-proud-when-i-take-a-day-OFF kind of adult who hasn’t made much time for reading lately. and that makes me sad. plus, i also want to grow through my reading – not just reading fun, brain-candy type stuff. hence the addition of a personal growth book.
* blog more! my goal is once/week. i really enjoy blogging. possibly even more so now that i live in another state than all of my family and many of my friends. so it’s a fun way for me to share snippets of my life. and i just like it. 🙂
* pray + send cards. this is one i’m particularly excited about. as i was putting away all the christmas decorations, i found myself staring at the pile of christmas cards we’d received and a bit reluctant to just throw them away. and then – i had an apostrophe (name that movie!) which morphed into this resolution. every monday i randomly select a christmas card picture from the pile and stick it on the fridge. then throughout the week, zach and i pray for that particular couple/family. i’m also combining it with another desire of mine: to mail out more handwritten cards to friends. i LOVE getting a random, handwritten card in the mail from a friend. don’t you?? so also on mondays, once i’ve put the card/picture on the fridge, i sit down and write a card to that couple/family letting them know that we are praying for them that week. (actually, i have to confess – this idea isn’t all my own. my parents did something similar with my brother and i growing up. we would select a card from the basket each evening and pray for that family before bed. so thanks for the awesome idea, mom & dad! i’m excited to carry it on!)
hmmm as i read back over these i’m seeing a common thread: s-l-o-w-i-n-g d-o-w-n. ha! this wasn’t an intentional theme, although i have been telling zach lately that i need/want to slow down. the last 2 months have been more busy than i think was best for me/us. and i’m ready to be done with that.
and just for the record, even though this post is coming at the beginning of february, i did begin working on these in january.
zach and i also talked about how we want to grow together, in our relationship, more intentionally this year. the first 18 months of our marriage were a little whirlwind and even since getting to pasadena, it’s been a mini whirlwind with getting settled, apartment managing and zach’s new job.
this year zach has a fantastic new schedule – four 10-hr days of work (Wed-Sat) followed by 3 days off (Sun-Tues)! we have designated tuesdays as “our” day to sleep in, do fun things together, usually followed by a date night. and since we live in such a cool place (LA County), we made a list of things in the Pasadena/LA area that we want to try and do this year. which has me especially excited because upon moving here, i resolved to not be *that* person who lives in a place surrounded by really cool stuff but never sees/does any of it.
(and we’re also hoping that God will add a jr boomsma to our family in 2012. we’re praying and would love for you to pray with/for us too!)
here’s to 2012!